Stevie, Briggs and Spats

Stevie, Briggs and Spats are my current foster kittens.

(As I write this, lying here in my bed, Briggs is purring and circling on my chest. Stevie is draped across my right foot. Spats is off somewhere investigating who-knows-what. Briggs finally settled down on my right shoulder with his nose pressed against my lips. Spats appeared and is now on the pillow directly to my left chewing lovingly on my fingers.)

I am a foster mom for the Houston SPCA and I have had a constant stream of Foster kittens rotating through my care for the past two years.

I have had Stevie since ... and Briggs and Spats since ... I normally don't foster more than one litter at a time bit this little group is a special case.

Most of my Fosters are recently weaned six week old kittens. They stay with me for a couple of weeks until they are at least 8 weeks old and weigh at least 2 pounds. That is when they are officially big/old enough to be spayed or neutered.

(Read about bottle babies here)

Stevie and his brother Eric were a mess, as you understand if you read my post about bottle babies. They had dried food and milk all over their front end and poop all over their hind end. And like all bottle babies they were loud and desperate for attention.

I brought them home in the afternoon and let them settle in for the night before I gave them each a bath. Kittens, like all cats, generally don't like to be bathed. Interestingly, these two didn't mind that much.

Comments